The Owatonna Instrumental Music Department is excited to announce that your child has the opportunity to join the instrumental music program for the 2023-24 school year. The instrumental program consists of Band and Orchestra. Our orchestra program begins the summer before 4th grade and our band program begins the summer before 5th grade. Current 4th graders -- THIS OPPORTUNITY IS FOR YOU! (If you currently play in orchestra, you are already registered in 5th grade. Dual enrollment is not an option.)
We will provide daily (Monday-Friday) one-hour instruction during our two-week summer lesson program held August 14-25. Our instructors work with the students on basic beginning techniques. These daily lessons ensure that your child develops the foundational skills necessary to be successful. If your child has a desire to join band, please sign up today and attend one of the Band Registration & Informational Meetings!
Wish to know more about 5th Grade Band? Watch this brief video. Band Demonstration Video ←Click Here
If you have an incoming 5th grader for the 2023-24 school year and they wish to join band, please email Holly Guenther at email@example.com.
Upcoming Dates for New Band Students
May 1-3: Best Fit Week
- Held during the school day
- Registered students have the opportunity to play three of their instrument choices to see which instruments plays the easiest for them and what they will enjoy the most learning
May 12: Instrument assignment mailed home
May 23: Instrument Rental Night Open House
- Join anytime between 4-6pm
- Band Room at Owatonna High School
August 14-25: Summer Lesson Program
- Monday through Friday for two weeks
- One-hour group lessons
- Required for all beginners: Students learn the set up, care and maintenance, tone production, and basic fundamentals, and first five notes prior to the start of the school year.
- $50. *Scholarship funding available on a need basis.
Music stores that service Owatonna Public Schools:
Tone Music. Located on 114 N. Cedar Ave. Owatonna. Instrument rentals on a sliding fee depending on age of the instrument rented. Four month trial rental available for $
Music Mart. Locations in Faribault, Rochester and Mankato. Music Mart visits weekly every Thursday. Four month trial rental for $30. After 4 months, monthly payments begin.
Holly Guenther, firstname.lastname@example.org
Band Director - Lincoln, McKinley, Washington, and Wilson Schools